When your long day finally reaches its anticipated end, there’s usually one thing on the mind: relaxation. Dad wants to glue himself to his Lazy Boy. Mom wants to drift away in a bubble bath whereas the kids are hypnotized by their computers and cell phones. We try to set goals for ourselves to be active after our work day, but let’s face it; when we walk through that front door nothing seems more appealing than a couch and a remote. Sometimes finding the motivation to be active feels like a workout on its own. The trick is making healthy activity fun – and social. Check out these awesome ways to get the whole family together and moving!
- Weekly Bike Rides– Going for bike rides is fun and easy! Gather the family together one day a week and ride to a local restaurant for lunch or to a frozen yogurt shop for a tasty treat everyone will enjoy.
- Walks after Dinner– When dinner is done, don’t get too comfy on the couch just yet. Get everyone together to go for a walk around your neighborhood or to a nearby lake or park. You’ll get some extra time to chat, and burn off some calories to boot!
- Weekend Swimming– Find a local swimming pool and gather the troops for a day of fun in the sun. You can play games and splash around all while getting in a great workout.
- Turn Commercial Breaks into Fitness Breaks– There’s nothing wrong with some quality family time around the television, but instead of sitting through commercial breaks, get up and get active! Come up with some exercises for the family to do while you’re waiting for your show to come back on, such as jogging in place or seeing who can do more sit ups or push ups.
- Family Night– Plan a family night one night a week where you all do something active, such as ice skating, rollerblading or bowling. Bonus points for trying something new!
- Plan a Stay-cation– Plan a mini vacation for a day where you stay local and explore the wonders right in your own backyard. Go hiking or bike riding to a nearby area that you’ve never visited before. You’ll get to know your town – and yourselves – a little better.
- Make Rainy Days Fun– Rainy days might mean you have to sit inside, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be active and fun! Turn on some music and get the family dancing. Try learning new dances together or just let loose.
- Conduct a Family Scavenger Hunt– A fun activity for the weekend; divide the family into teams and set each other up on a scavenger hunt. Make the opposing team walk, run, skip, hop, and do whatever they need to do to win!
Getting active doesn’t have to be something you dread. And, you don’t have to do it alone. Planning activities with your family can not only be beneficial to your health, but can help to strengthen your bond as a family as well. You’ll have the support and motivation you need to leave the couch behind and spend more time with the people you love. So what are you waiting for? Get moving! Start planning your family activities so you can make new memories while getting healthy!