Your purpose isn’t something that jumps out one day to reveal itself after you’ve searched long and hard enough. It is always hiding in plain sight in the last place you’d look – inside yourself. And it takes work to find one’s purpose in life but it is doable.
What is Life Purpose?
Your life purpose isn’t a title or role or what you do. It’s how you are in all your roles. It’s something you’ve been doing almost all your life without realizing it. It’s something that’s such a part of who you are that it’s hard for you to see it.
Simple Steps to Finding Your Purpose
You don’t have to spend a ton of money on ‘purpose finding’ programs. You do need to make some focused time for deep introspection. Try writing down your answers to these questions:
- What have you enjoyed doing most of your life that’s unique to you?
- How would those close to you describe you?
- What aspects of your personality have helped others?
- What are you good at that you enjoy doing?
- What would you do all day if you had all the money you needed?
- What do others ask for your help with on a regular basis?
- What strengths are consistent in many of your answers so far?
- Who do you admire? What qualities do you admire in these people? What would it look like for you to express those qualities? What would that feel like?
- What experiences have made you feel the most alive?
- What types of experiences feed your energy?
- What’s your superpower?
Ask people who are close to you and know you well what your superpower is. What’s that thing that comes easily for you, that’s part of who you are that’s difficult for others? You may think your superpower is common and anyone can do it, but you are wrong. Those close to you can help you identify this power in you.
Finding Your Gifts
After you have completed the aforementioned exercises, take some time to reflect on your answers. What are the common themes: What pops out and excites you? How can you incorporate that into everything you do?
Take some time – days or weeks – to let all this percolate in you. Let your subconscious work on it. Don’t let your mind get all freaked out about what comes up. Listen to what’s in your heart. Give yourself permission to change your old beliefs that told you to be a certain way to appease others. How can you be more uniquely you in all aspects of your life?
Experiment a little each day with what you do, how you communicate and how you think. At the end of each day, journal about what you did and what you learned. Use what you learned in tomorrow’s experiment.
Article adapted from: How To Figure Out Your Life Purpse. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.simplemindfulness.com/how-to-figure-out-your-life-purpose/