Chicken breasts are stuffed with feta cheese, artichoke hearts, and roasted red peppers for a Mediterranean-inspired dinner that’s ready in about half an hour. Pair this Mediterranean stuffed chicken recipe with our roasted butternut squash fries and a side salad for a well-rounded meal. Serves 4
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1- ½ pounds total)
- ¼ cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (1 ounce)
- ¼ cup finely chopped, drained bottled marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped, drained bottled roasted red sweet peppers
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Using a sharp knife, cut a pocket in each chicken breast by cutting horizontally through the thickest portion to, but not through, the opposite side. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine feta cheese, artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, green onion, and oregano. Spoon evenly into pockets in chicken breasts. If necessary, secure openings with wooden toothpicks. Sprinkle chicken with black pepper.
- Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook for 12 to 14 minutes or until no longer pink (170°F), turning once.
- Grilling directions: For a charcoal grill, place chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170°F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Serving size: 1 stuffed chicken breast
- Per serving: 171 calories; 5 g fat(2 g sat); 2 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 68 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 226 mg sodium;
- Carbohydrate Servings: 0
- Exchanges: 4 lean protein, 1 fat